Join forces with the experts.
You are the expert in caring for your patients. Diabetes educators are experts in helping people manage diabetes. Together, you form a team to help patients with diabetes adopt positive changes that delay or prevent complications.
Why collaborate with a diabetes educator?
Diabetes educators provide a level of attention that you can’t achieve in short office visits. They coach patients to understand diabetes in the context of their own lives and work with them to set – and meet – behavior changes to improve their health. And they keep you informed about patient progress at every step.
Diabetes educators enhance your practice by:
- Spending more time with patients as they provide training, counseling, and follow-up.
- Helping you meet pay-for-performance and quality improvement goals.
- Providing status reports about patient progress.
- Emphasizing the role that self-management plays in preventing the onset of diabetes-related health complications.
Visit the American Association of Diabetes Educators (AADE) to learn more about making a referral and finding a licensed diabetes educator near you. https://www.diabeteseducator.org/practice/provider-resources
Order Form for Diabetes Self-Management Education (DSME) and Medical Nutrition Therapy
This form was created to capture all information required for successful patient referral. The back of the form has helpful information about DSME, including an algorithm describing when patients should be referred for additional services.
This form is a guide for use by primary care physicians or specialists to refer patients with diabetes to DSME. The completed form should be faxed to the diabetes educator.
Download English (PDF, 325 kb)
DSME Patient Flyer
This flyer describes how diabetes educators can help patients manage their diabetes with customized advice and guidance. It explains the specific benefits of diabetes self-management education (DSME) and encourages patients to follow through with their referral.
This flyer should be given to patients when they are referred for DSME.
Empowerment is Strong Medicine Poster
Motivational poster provides a positive message about diabetes self-management education and encourages patients to talk with their doctor about it.
To be displayed in the physicians’ reception area or exam rooms in conjunction with the companion card shown below. Poster can also be used at health fairs or other locations where people seek health information.
Empowerment is Strong Medicine Card
This companion card lists specific benefits of diabetes self-management education and promotes doctor-patient dialogue.
To be displayed either separately or in conjunction with the poster and distributed to patients or others seeking health information.
Articles & Publications
Diabetes Self-management Education and Support in Type 2 Diabetes: A Joint Position Statement of the American Diabetes Association, the American Association of Diabetes Educators, and the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Diabetes Care 2015;38:1372–1382 | DOI: 10.2337/dc15-0730 (PDF, 3.8 MB)
1. Order online using the HHSC Forms and Print Product Catalog
If you do not have internet access or are having difficulty ordering online, submit a request in writing (below).
2. Submit a request in writing using a Texas Department of State Health Services Form No. AG-30 (see page 2 of literature catalog) to the Health and Human Services Warehouse. Written requests must contain the following information:
- Requestor’s Name
- Shipping Address (For larger orders, please provide a street address, NOT a post office box.)
- Organization, Affiliation or Professional Status (If applicable)
- Catalog number(s) and title(s) of items requested
- Quantity (Most items limited to a maximum of 100 copies per order)
- Date requested
Requests Should Be Made To:
HHSA Cons. Warehouse Admin Support
12300 Technology Blvd.
Warehouse Facility (MC 6694)
Austin, Texas 78727
Please allow 4-6 weeks for delivery.